Thursday 8 March 2018

On board: good news and bad news

We drove over to the boat this afternoon to find ... no apparent faults with the domestic water system. Hooray! It seems to have survived the winter so far.

But ... I found some water in the cabin bilge and a very damp bung. The bung is a disc of the floor cut out to form the inspection hatch. Worse, I tried operating the engine 'ole bilge pump to find that it made a pathetic small noise - and then nothing. As the canal doesn't seem to be emptying into the bilge at the moment I shall investigate properly tomorrow. If it can't be resuscitated I still have the old pump. I replaced it only last year as it was getting noisy. Hmm - it should still be under warranty (but will I be able to find the receipt?)

No photos, sorry. I'm doing this on my telephone.

3 comments:

Tom and Jan said...

Do you have an automatic bilge pump?

Halfie said...

Hi Tom, yes, it has a built-in float switch. I'm just about to get my hands dirty ...

Vallypee said...

Oh dear...I hope you can fix it easily, Halfie!