Wednesday 31 May 2017

The Crick Ness Monster

Have you seen the Crick Ness Monster? We haven't seen it, but we have heard it. It woke us up one morning a couple of weeks ago in Crick Marina, thrashing about between our boat and a neighbouring one, making a frightful racket.

Later in the morning I heard it again as I was walking along the jetty. I looked, but all I saw was a few ripples on the water.

What was it? All will be revealed - possibly - later.

We were at Crick making use of our month's free mooring won as a third prize at last year's Boat Show. Our stay conveniently coincided with this year's show, so we claimed our moorers' wristbands and helped out at the Boaters' Christian Fellowship stand.

I don't think there were as many visiting boats this year. This was the view looking north from the temporary bridge.

The headline act for Saturday's evening entertainment was the tribute band T-Rextasy. I stuck it out for their first three numbers but that was enough for me.

I didn't even bother going to the next night's gig, Fleetwood Bac. I could hear enough from the boat.

Back at the BCF stand, here Jan (seated, dark green T-shirt) is signing up a new member.

During our stay at Crick we made good use of our proximity to the M1, driving to Sheffield to see Andrew a few times. Now we are on the move again, heading towards Birmingham. We tied up just along from Norton Junction in surprisingly shallow water on the GU main line.

Back to the Crick Ness Monster. A few days ago a fellow marina dweller told us that it could have been a large carp which visits at this time of year to spawn. I was not totally surprised, but part of me felt slightly sad that the mystery had been blown out of the water, so to speak.

There is lots more news, and I shall try to get back into more regular blogging after a regrettable lapse.

No comments: