Saturday 16 November 2013

BCF AGM at J28

The location of the Boaters' Christian Fellowship Annual General Meeting this year was the Junction 28 Church, very close to a certain junction of the M1. And a very convenient location it was too, being a simple nip up the motorway from Milton Keynes where we stayed last night.

I forgot to take a photo of the exterior so I've borrowed one. It doesn't look much like a church, does it? More like a block of flats or student accommodation. It was very good inside, though.

photo from panoramio.com

The day started with coffee/tea at 1100, then Jan and I joined several other musicians for a rehearsal of the music for the service which would come later.

There were just over 100 BCF members there, not bad for a total membership of 700.

After lunch, which we all contributed to, we got down to the business part: acceptance of minutes, accounts; election of officers etc. Jan had put herself forward for the committee, so, of course, she was duly elected.

Then followed an entertainment slot, where members sang, danced or did magic tricks. Did you know there is a Society of Christian Magicians? No, neither did I. (More illusions than invocations of the dark arts.)

After tea and a feast of cakes etc. we took part in a time of worship, where Jan and I played as part of the band. (Jan on violin, me on descant or tenor recorder). We stood next to an accomplished trumpeter: I suspect that my recorder was rather drowned out.

And that was it. We drove back to MK, stopping at a services for lasagne and chips.

(I took more photos of the proceedings, but I'll spare you them as I need to go to bed!)

No comments: