Saturday 22 October 2011

Back to Thrupp via a Thames backwater

Our autumn holiday on Shadow is nearly over, I'm sorry to say, and it's been a really good one. We've done a bit of canal I hadn't done before, and the weather has been superb. Yes, we had a bit of rain one day, and it's been quite windy on two ir three days, but the sun has shone, we've been able to have the stove going , and we've had a very good time.

As I indicated yesterday, our first task this morning - after buying a paper and some provisions - was to reverse to the junction with Isis Lock, go down the lock and wind on a backwater of the Thames.

This was straightfoward. I nosed up to the new pontoon, as instructed by the sign at the lock, and swung the stern round so as to point back up the lock. It would have been easier had the pontoon not been quite so wide, but there was not much flow and things went smoothly. Jan stayed on the bank!


The lock looked splendid in the morning sunshine.


In order to resent my brother with a full tank of diesel when he takes over Shadow tomorrow we stopped at College Cruisers, where we were told we'd have to wait ten minutes before they could attend to us.

Half an hour later I reminded them we were here, only to be told that they'd had a breakdown, which I took to mean that one of their boats had had a problem; and that there were only two of them, which I took to mean that they were actually too busy to be concerned with me. OK, then. We'll take our custom elsewhere.

I'd not been idle while waiting, though. I fixed the manual operation of the bilge pump switch. Up to this time, pulling the switch on the intrument panel had not been causing the pump to run. I discovered that the wire from the switch was loose in the engine hole. I was pleased to find that the float switch still operated the pump. Phew! It was a simple matter to reconnect the floating (so to speak) wire. Now all is as it should be.

In the distance in the next photo is Roundham Lock, viewed through the skew railway bridge.


And here is Shadow tied up on the visitor moorings at Thrupp, outside the lovely terrace of cottages.


We started the boat cleaning job before our handover tomorrow - I washed the outside of the boat and Jan did the windows and bathroom. Carpets and galley tomorrow.

Oh - I must do a blog post about the magic cloth I use. Another time.

We ate at the Jolly Boatman and enjoyed really excellent food (mmm, red cabbage!). And Bones, you were really excellent company. Thank you.

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

Sunds as if it was a perfect holiday Halfie.