Tuesday 17 May 2011

The Drome Café keeps me going


According to Nicholson's entry for Minworth on the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal reads as follows:

Minworth Warwicks. PO, tel, stores. A mainly residential area on the city outskirts, totally dominated by roads. There is a handy transport café close to Hansons Bridge.

Handy transport café, eh? We were passing mid-morning on 6th April. Well, I say "passing", but I had to stop to check out the breakfast situation.


The Drome Café unusually combines a standard transport caff with a fried chicken takeaway. At 1015 it was almost empty, the regulars, no doubt, having filled their stomachs hours earlier.


Two great things about a fry-up breakfast are that it's rare to get a duff one as the important bits are cooked to order (bacon, eggs, mushrooms, sausages, toast or fried bread - the baked beans can be kept warm, I suppose); and it's usually very quick. We were on our way again only half-an-hour after stopping (Jan declining the opportunity to stoke up).

3 comments:

No Direction said...

Named after the Aerodrome that used to opposite but is now Castle Vale housing estate,I can remember going to an air show there when I was about 6 or 7 years old on the back of my fathers Triumph 650 motorcycle, as a teenager I used the cafe when I started work close by.
Ray

Vallypee said...

Sometimes, I miss things like transport caffs....unknown in that form here in NL.

tightsluva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.