Friday 11 February 2011

Timelapse: Reading to Culham Reach, and boat gets caught on lock side

The last timelapse film ended just above Hambleden Lock when the camera's battery ran out. So there's a stretch missing from the upstream record of our summer 2010 trip. On Monday 23rd August we tied up for the night outside the 24 hour Tesco at Reading. The timelapse film below shows us leaving there at 0705, and continuing up to Culham. That's not where we stopped, that's just where this particular film ends.


Watch out for where Willow's gunwale gets caught on the side of Mapledurham Lock. I notice what's going on and dash back from the top control panel to push the boat away. Did I think to hit the emergency stop button on the control panel? Er ... I don't believe I did. I suppose I decided in a split second that the sooner I got to the boat to release it the better. Fortunately it popped out with no damage done. It was a worrying moment, but there was worse to come!





  • Caversham Lock (0.12)
  • Reading Bridge (0.19)
  • Caversham Bridge (0.24)
  • Temporary Reading Festival Bridge (0.39)
  • Mapledurham Lock (0.59)
  • see Willow tip as the gunwale gets caught on the lock side (1.03)
  • Whitchurch Bridge (1.32)
  • Whitchurch Lock (1.33)
  • passing Beale Park, site of the IWA Festival (1.49)
  • Gatehampton Railway Bridge with freight train (2.00)
  • Goring Bridge (2.12)
  • Goring Lock (2.13)
  • Cleeve Lock, shared with nb Tarragon which we followed for a while (2.23)
  • Moulsford Railway Bridge (2.42)
  • Wallingford Bypass Bridge (3.01)
  • Wallingford Bridge (3.08)
  • Benson Lock (3.20)
  • Shillingford Bridge (and then it rained) (3.33)
  • passing Clover and Fazeley (3.44)
  • Little Wittenham Bridge (3.56)
  • Day's Lock (3.57)
  • Clifton Hampden Bridge (4.22)
  • passing Archimedes and Ara (4.26)
  • Clifton Lock (4.26)
  • Appleford Railway Bridge (4.42)
  • Sutton Bridge (4.54)
  • Culham Lock (4.55)

2 comments:

Andy Tidy said...

Halfie
Whilst I love the canals, I think the Thames is the most beautiful river in England.

Halfie said...

I think you must be one of the few to be interested in my timelapse films. My hit count has nosedived!