Tuesday 11 January 2011

More thoughts on my narrowboat search

Tempting though the 62' boat is which I discussed yesterday, I think I shall hold out for a slightly shorter one. I want a "go (almost) anywhere" boat and don't want to be restricted unnecessarily.

More advantages of a shorter boat: cheaper mooring fees; cheaper to black/paint; just cheaper overall, really.

Disadvantages of a shorter boat: not as much space; slightly less like a "real" narrowboat (although I expect Simon will disagree).

Of course, a boat with boatman's cabin and engine room is very likely to be more than 40 feet long.

Here are four boats I have skippered:


Savoy Hill, 1983, 63 feet


Lee Swallow, 2005, 58 feet


Willow, 2008-2010, 40 feet


Shadow, 2002-2010, 58 feet

Can you identify the locations? (I don't remember where Savoy Hill was photographed, but perhaps you can tell)

6 comments:

Nev Wells said...

I recently read that 50 foot is the new 58 foot based on cheaper mooring, easier to pilot, easier to find moorings, easier to maintain etc etc.

Did I mention I had a 50 foot boat !

Can't resist it but size isn't everything I suppose it it what you do with it that matters... ;-)

There is one out there waiting for you to own it.

Nev

Anonymous said...

shadow is on that bridge above the football pitch where you can see your shadows!

Alf said...

Savoy hill.........2nd lock up Bosley on the Macc.

Alf said...

Sorry meant Lee swallow so please ignore previous !

Halfie said...

Nev, I thought you said you were tempted by the 62' boat?

Alf, yes, that's right.

Shadow's location easy to identify, but what about Willow's?

Nev Wells said...

Halfie,

I am but then I am tempted by a Pan European, a new narrowboat, a new life in Scotland and not working anymore. Problem is they don't all add up logistically or financially. So I do nothing.....

Nev