Tuesday 20 July 2010

Montgomery Canal walk: Maesbury Marsh to Vyrnwy Aqueduct (part 2)

OK. It's going to be much too indigestible to relate every footstep, every bridge, lock and aqueduct of our exploration of the Monty. So this is what I'm going to do: I'm going to summarise in a few words what we've done each day, bung in a couple of photos, and that will be that. At some later date, of course, when I'm at home with nothing else to write about, I'll probably revisit our walk and make a few more posts out of it, but I will try not to bore you with too much detail at this stage.

I did promise yesterday something about the Vyrnwy Aqueduct and its donation of canal water to the Severn Vyrnwy. Towards the end of Sunday's walk we encountered this stone structure, and, in the spirit of Captain Ahab, I got down to river level to take some photos. I was particularly keen to find out where the sound of falling water was coming from.


It was from this arch.


Water from the canal is leaking through the stonework. I could hear similar leakages from another arch. Is this nothing to worry about, or will the aqueduct be drained and sealed?

2 comments:

Andy Tidy said...

Halfie
I am enjoying this series!

Halfie said...

Good! The Monty isn't quite as jungle-bashing as some of your exploits, and some of it is actually navigable, but walking it is the best option for seeing it all at the moment.