Saturday 10 July 2010

Ipswich bus old, but not THAT old

Something for Jim of Starcross.

In Ipswich a week ago I had just got in the car to prepare to drive away from my parking spot in Bramford Road when I noticed a bus approaching. Nothing unusual there, you might think.


But I looked at the number plate, and saw that it was C-reg. C-reg? That's ancient! Older than my car! In fact, that's even older (by a year) than my first car! (An Austin 1100, since you ask. And, by the way, I spotted one driving away from me the other day: the first I've seen on the road for what seems like a good couple of decades.)


So I fumbled to unzip my camera from its case, switch it on, and snap a couple of shots. It was only on reviewing the photos that I realised my error. My brain had read it as C-at-the-end, 1965, and not what it really was: C-at-the-beginning, 1984/1985. The old thing here was me. (I don't even have a registration letter: when I was born every number plate was what would now be a personalised registration.)


I find I often see more in a photo than I do in real life. I suppose it's because I have time to take in the various elements of the scene, frozen as it is in time. A bit like the canal system, really.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Eleven hundred...

Halfie said...

Quite so, Steve.