Saturday 8 May 2010

Savoy Hill


In 1983 or 1984 Jan and I took the BBC Club's narrowboat Savoy Hill for a cruise with two other couples, Steve and Sue and Kevin and Sue. We started from, I think, Tring, going south on the Grand Union to Brentford (with a side excursion on the Paddington Branch and Regent's Canal), thence up the Thames to Oxford, north on the Oxford Canal to Braunston, then south on the GU to Gayton. In a week.

Somewhere I still have the log: I must dig it out and remind myself of our dawn-to-dusk days. I remember we had to push it to get to Gayton for our rendezvous with the Inland Waterways Section's boat manager, the infamous DT. (Unless I'm mixing up that cruise with our next one.)


The photos here must be from our second cruise on Savoy Hill: the Warwickshire Ring, again, in a week. As I remember, we'd kept a bottle of fizz in the fridge to celebrate conquering Hatton locks. It's definitely a GU lock in the background, but is it Hatton bottom lock? I thought we'd done the ring clockwise, in which case we'd have brought out the bottle when we'd got to the top of the flight. So where was the photo taken?

Top photo left to right: Sue, Steve, Jan, Sue, me with OS map.

Bottom photo left to right: Kevin, Sue, me, Jan, Sue, Steve. I must have set up the camera on self-timer.


Edit to say: Oops! Where is that stern rope going?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol, ohh you've started something here, posted one of Dave today from 1982 after seeing this LMAO :-)

PS: Did you use an affro comb too?

(Still laffin)

Halfie said...

Yes, I see what you mean! It's almost as curly as Sue's (the Sue on the right in the second pic)!

While at Uni I didn't have a hair cut for about two years; now our son has similarly long hair.

I'll now have a look at Dave's pic...

Unknown said...

Hi my girlfriend has got one of the savoy hill narrowboats built in 1981 with the cruiser stern we think there was 3 boats I would love to see some original pictures of her
Regards Paul

Halfie said...

Paul, I'll see if I can dig out some more photos for you.

Unknown said...

Cool cheers for reply

Unknown said...

Cool cheers for reply