Thursday 4 March 2010

Winter isn't over yet ... and no boating for me in April


There have been at least three burst water mains in our Norfolk village recently, presumably caused by the low temperatures. And yesterday morning I cycled past this car in a ditch. The field at that point was flooded. Water had found its way onto the road and frozen overnight. Now there may have been another vehicle involved, and the road didn't feel slippery as I went past, but it looked as though the car had simply skidded off.

The worst hazard for me and other cyclists at the moment is not slippery surfaces but potholes. There are several bad ones on my route to/from work, and I have to be really careful to avoid them or they could easily throw me off my bike, especially at the speed I go!

No boating next month? David has Shadow booked for a week in April; I'd applied for a week's leave to coincide ... but we're being refused all leave from April until after the General Election. Grr.

2 comments:

Andy Tidy said...

Halfie
What a drag - and its not as if a change of party will make much difference.
Capt A

Halfie said...

Exactly, Captain. And I feel I need a holiday now - a boating one would have been perfect! Stoppage season over (probably), lengthening days, the possibility of sun as well as rain, warmth as well as cold ... I want to be out there!