Sunday 14 March 2010

A boat with no name

We've just returned from visiting Ally and Ben in Birmingham. They live near the Stratford Canal, and I took this photo on my way back from an abortive trip to get milk (the Co-op wasn't going to open until 10.00 on a Sunday).


The boat on the right had just reversed out of the way of the one on the left, coming through the bridge hole, and it was obviously easier for them to pass on the "wrong" side. I looked in vain for a name on either boat. Why do people (or boats) seem to want to be anonymous?

Turning to Jim Shead's Waterway's Information site and looking up the BW registration numbers, just visible on this and another photo which I haven't published, gives the name of the boat on the right as Lynx; and that on the left (a Black Prince boat?) as Endeavour (if I've entered the correct number. It's hard to read.)

4 comments:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

I think you will find its a Canaltime boat unless Black prince are using thet design now.
Brian

Adam said...

Brian's right, that's a Canaltime (or ex-Canaltime).

We passed David Trimble on his boat a couple of years ago. I could kind of understand why it was anonymous!

Halfie said...

Is that David Trimble, then? (Perhaps if I'd heard his voice...)

Adam said...

No, his boat is green. I was just suggesting one reason why people might want to be anonymous (although it's not a reason that applies to anyone but him!)