Wednesday 3 February 2010

Safe steps to nowhere?


Have you noticed the new steps down the bank in several places on the Llangollen Canal? They're probably elsewhere on the system as well, but I noticed these on our October 2009 cruise.

They look well made, with a safety hand rail and non-slip treatment on the treads. I initially thought that they might be footpaths, possibly ending in a stile.


But when I investigated, at the bottom I found a fence completely blocking the way. The steps go nowhere. Or so it seems. A clue was in the fact that they tended to coincide with where a stream was culverted under the canal. Could the steps be a maintenance aid?

I e-mailed BW to ask about them. Here's their response:

I can advise that yes the steps are to enable us to visually inspect the canal to make sure it is running correctly and to check for any blockages/extra water.  If we find that there is a problem then we have other means of gaining access to the culvert.

I photographed the steps from the towpath of the Llangollen at Bettisfield. Was this the site of the recent breach? Did the steps make any difference?

No comments: