Thursday 17 December 2009

The year in photos: Coventry ice

I like looking back at what I've done through the year, and photographs bring the memories back quickly. Over the next few days I'm going to try to post one (or more) photo(s) from each of the past 12 months.


Here's the first, from new year's eve. We were iced in in Coventry Basin, but not so much that we couldn't break our way out. We had to use the shaft at first, but once we could get a run-up the going was easier.


Yes, those ducks were walking on the ice.

We were ice breaking all the way to Hawkesbury Junction, and for part of the way down the North Oxford Canal. When we tied up at Newbold I found that the tiller arm had frozen onto the swan's neck, so there it stayed all night.

4 comments:

Vallypee said...

Very fitting pics for a day when it's snowing and freezing by turns in our part of the world! Must be uncomfortable to go ice breaking.

Halfie said...

VallyP, no, ice breaking is great fun! The noise is unsettling at first, but you get used to it. It slows you down, though, and can't be any good for fuel economy.

Andy Tidy said...

Halfie
my a-mail address is andrew.tidy@sky.com
I figured it was showing when I left you comments but clearly not.
I do enjoy readung your blog - its part of my daily routine.
Content becomes difficult at this time of year!

Halfie said...

Thanks Andy, I've sent you a copy of the map.