Monday 5 October 2009

Engines worth getting steamed up about


Yesterday afternoon we went to Forncett Industrial Steam Museum in Norfolk. It's less than ten miles away and we'd not been before, not when it was open, anyway.


There are some stonkingly huge engines there, most of which were originally installed to pump water.


One thing which struck me was just how quiet steam engines are: rhythmic heavy clonks and gentle sighs of steam being about all that there is. Your other senses are, of course, involved: the smell of warm oil and, outside, that of burning wood; the wondrous sight of giant bits of metal running up and down, or round and round so smoothly; and the feel of the heat from the huge boiler. The steam was distributed to the working exhibits via insulated pipes.



It was a full time job keeping the fire fed with scrap timber.


And, no, I haven't forgotten the sense of taste. I had a delicious portion of home-made apple crumble and custard in the canteen!

3 comments:

Vallypee said...

Very evocative piece, Halfie. I could almost smell the steam, oil and wood and taste that crumble! Good photos too.

Sandra Rowney said...

Hi Halfie, I've made a website for Malcolm and have been searching aroound for photos across the net. Found your blog and some lovely photos of his engine and of Forncett. i really hope you don't mind me using them in his site, I've credited you and made a link on one. Let me know if this isn't OK. Thanks Sandra
(sj then surname then dot com.)

Halfie said...

Sandra, that's perfectly all right. I haven't found the website, though, and you haven't given me enough information for me to work out your e-mail address!