Friday 11 September 2009

Tranquillity at Weedon


On my way by car to Daventry yesterday I stopped off at Weedon just to walk along the Grand Union Canal for a bit. This is the best of the photos I took - the first one, as it happens - and I'd welcome criticism. I'll start:

nothing of interest in the foreground

nothing really happening anywhere

horizon in the middle (breaking "thirds" rule)

no detail in the blacks

(I'm really NOT angling for compliments, be as harsh as you like.)



On my way back I stopped again, and had a hot filled baguette sitting outside the Heart of England pub. Although the pub is canalside, and has a gate from the towpath into the garden, there's nowhere to sit with a view of the canal.

My 1995 Nicholson's lists two pubs near Bridge 24 where I was: the Globe and the New Inn. Is the "Heart of England" a renamed one of these?



Almost incongruously the pub sign features a strange narrowboat. (Perhaps the boat's called Heart of England.) It has a very bluff bow, a satellite dish for a rear slide, and an impossibly narrow side hatch!

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

I love photos of water and reflections, so the first appeals to me regardless of its technical standard. The only slightly disturbing part though is that the reflection is a little too rippled, so it looks muddied.On the other hand, your sky is just perfect, the horizon is straight and you can still see some detail in the shadows, so altogether, I think it's pretty grand technically too.

The second one also has a fabulous sky and the building is beautifully sharp and well lit.If I'd taken it, I would probably have gone for a more straight on view and probably wouldn't have got the whole thing in without a wider angle lens, but in general I prefer that. All the same both are very good photos in my opinion, Halfie.

That NB