Friday 4 September 2009

Responding to Granny Buttons's challenge


Andrew Denny yesterday posted a wonderful photograph he'd taken of the cooling towers of Ratcliffe-on-Soar Power Station. It was a grabbed shot through the rainy window of a bus taken with his mobile phone camera, and was a lesson to us all about photographing the light rather than the scene. You'll have to read him - and look at his pictures - to understand.

Andrew wondered how many people at the festival noticed the light or carried a camera. Well, I can't hope to get anywhere near his photographic skill, but I did take the above picture which possibly captures some of the drama of Andrew's photo.

Now I must own up. The picture is a still taken from my timelapse camera while filming the sequence I posted earlier (the camera was on a small tripod I'd perched on the roof of my car). So it's more by chance that it looks this way; and the camera produces quite contrasty images which helps!

The Harley Davidson in the foreground belongs to Dave and Carol who camped one night.


just after sunrise the next day, Monday 31st August 2009: you can see the timelapse camera on the roof of my car

5 comments:

Dave Winter said...

Quote from Ansel Adams (1940-1960)
"A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels."

Halfie said...

Then mine is certainly not a great photograph. I was hardly even there when this particular frame was taken. I was probably feeling like a cup of tea.

Vallypee said...

The light you've caught there is almost exactly the same, Halfie (I've also seen GB's lovely pic). I think yours is great considering it's from what is essentially a movie camera. Not always easy to get good stills from them!

Vallypee said...

By the way, speaking of festivals, we've just had World Harbour Days in Rotterdam. You might be interested to see my latest post as we had some interesting visitors from your side of the channel! It's on my Luxor blog.

Halfie said...

VallyP, thanks for your comments. The camera I've been using for the timelapse is actually more like a programmeable stills camera. It records onto an SD card, and I can make it take images at intervals from 2 seconds to 3 minutes. I'll do a proper post about it some time.

I looked at your blog. I see what you mean about interesting visitors! I've left a comment.