Thursday 27 August 2009

Timelapse of a near sinking

This timelapse was taken on 17th March 2009 as we cruised down the Grand Union Canal at Kings Langley, Herts. At the first lock in the sequence, Lock 70, I spotted that the well deck of the boat coming up, Wol, was filling with water. The boat's baseplate had got stuck on the top gate. We immediately lowered the top paddles and opened the bottom paddles to let water out of the lock so the boat could right itself. If we hadn't done this the boat would probably have sunk. My (near) contemporary report is here.



You see the boat coming up, then a bit of rushing around and the boat going down again, then the boat coming up again before exiting the lock so we can go in. If I look really hard, I can almost see the boat tilting forward slightly before we take disaster-avoiding action.

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

Good one! Although it's difficult to really see what's happening. I'm glad you explained, or I'd have thought the up, down, up was a bit odd ;-)