Saturday 20 June 2009

The writing's on the bridge

I love bridges with old advertising slogans on them. One I remember from when I lived nearer London is the Ferodo bridge; and there were one or two motorway bridges on the M6/M1 with graffiti messages which seemed to be immune from painting out, lasting for years. OK, not advertising slogans, but memorable. So memorable that I can't now remember what they said!

Of course, bridges with words on tend to be photographed more than otherwise similar bridges unadorned by text. No-one cruising the T&M through Burton-on-Trent can miss the Marston's bridge.


And here's a less ostentatious inscription: if you want a bridge that will last, buy it from Mr. Joseph Butler's iron works of Stanningley. 160 years old when the photo was taken, and still (presumably) going strong. This is on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal near Burscough. At least, I think that's where it is: my logging is not very good.


Another bridge from our 2008 cruise on the L&L is Oaklands Mill bridge, Wigan. Not a good photo, and the paintwork on the bridge is very faded.


You can just make out the last three letters of "OAKLANDS", and the word "MILL".

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

They are good sometimes aren't they? There are a couple in Manchester (like you I can't remember what they say) but I was struck when I saw them. Nice post and good shots!