Thursday 18 June 2009

Sweden in Shardlow


When we stopped at Shardlow back in April I noticed Sweden tied up on the towpath. Its owner, Colin, told me a little about the boat: built of wood for carrying salt. I'd misremembered the date as 1929, but both Jim Shead and the HNBOC give the date as 1926.




Appropriately, the boat is tied up outside a former salt warehouse. Perhaps not quite as iconic as the Clock Warehouse (visible in the bottom picture), but a beautiful building in its own right.

Did Colin tell me that he'd converted the boat himself? Sorry, that's another thing I can't remember.

2 comments:

Vallypee said...

Oooh, what a beauty! I love the shape and lines of these real old working narrow boats. Stunning, and fantastic that it's still in use today too.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Colin's daughter Sophie. Lovely pictures of Sweden - she looks a little different this year however!
Interestingly everyone got the date wrong - she was actually built in 1921. Dad bought the boat back in the early 80's I think, and between him & some very experienced friends, virtually had to completley rebuild her.