Sunday 26 October 2008

Another new marina

On our way from Lancashire to Yorkshire we stopped off at Greenfield. From here we walked up the Huddersfield Narrow Canal to Uppermill, and then struck out up the hill to Saddleworth. I'm sure this marina wasn't here when we came through by boat three years ago!


The walk up the towpath was most enjoyable. By the amount of foliage on the roof of Hephzibar that boat hasn't moved for a while - or perhaps the leaves came down in a rush.


And then the spectacular railway viaduct over the canal at Uppermill.


From the walk up to Saddleworth you can see the canal climbing the hillside. Well, two pounds, at least. Which would buy almost two pints at the pub.


The prices haven't changed much at the Church Inn, Saddleworth...


...so I scraped together 55p for a half.


I have had better beer, but I'm sure I could have acquired the taste! Not today, though, as we had to return to the car for the rest of the drive to Holme.

No comments: