Saturday 22 December 2007

An evening to remember

Nine week cruise - day 10 - 11th July 2005

Oakgrove to Bugsworth



Isn't that Tracy Island on the hillside above the Peak Forest Canal?


reversing out of one arm of Bugsworth Basin

Got up at 0730 and under way at 0820. Hot and sunny today. Through Royal Oak swingbridge into very pleasant countryside. We stopped at Bollington Wharf at 1100 for diesel and the butcher's. Got going again at 1155.


a boat for son Andrew (Zebedee)

We stopped for half an hour at Marple Junction for a look round and turned right onto the upper Peak Forest Canal. My notes for the time say that we stopped at Bugsworth Basin for tea at 1930 and then moored finally at Bugsworth at 2045. So what did we do in the meantime? Oh yes, I suppose we must have eaten tea and then moved to a different part of the basin for the night.

Here we met Bruce Coleman of NB Boston and his friends Alan and Ann and joined with them in an impromptu folk music session by the boats. I played along as well as I could on my descant recorder. David got the whisky out and we shared it, handing round the closest we could find to whisky tumblers: egg cups. This was one of the most memorable evenings of the whole trip. If our schedule had allowed, I think we'd have spent another day here. But I'd booked a passage through Standedge Tunnel, and I didn't want to miss that.

Today:
10.5 hours
22 miles 1 furlong
0 locks

Cumulative:
84.5 h; 180 m 2 f; 75 l

No comments: